30 September 2009

In Chicago

Currently in a bed at a Holiday Inn in Chicago, my consciousness is waning, but as promised (Mom & Dad), I will tell you the king-like dinner in which I just indulged. The place is called Naha, and after being denied entry (based on availability) into the exclusive "progressive sushi bar," where I wanted to eat, I decided to try this Armenian/Mediterranean restaurant located right in the middle of where it's all going on downtown. The walk from the hotel room was long and confusing, but beautiful. The hotel is in such a spot that to get anywhere one must walk across the bridge over the canal, and in doing so one cannot help but gaze down the canal at the towering midwest skyline, all lit up and glittering, like some forest of colossal concrete Christmas trees, and begin to laugh. After realizing that the downtown area was quite a bit farther than I had realized, I hopped on the subway and took it to Grand Avenue, where I hopped off and met my array of choices in fine dining: precisely what I came after. After a few glances at menus (and meeting my disappointment at the sushi place in Chicago) I ambled into Naha for a menu. Aside from each item on the menu having a novel as its description, my taste buds decided for me, so I went in, chatted with the hostess, and took my seat by the window looking out to Illinois Avenue. After careful consideration of many of the menu items, I came to crave the following items, which would become my meal: firstly, a rich Autumn Squash Soup of long Island Cheesecake, Kaboucha, and Spaghetti Squash with a "griddled" Sandwich of La Quercia "americano" prosciutto and Wabash Cannonball Goat's Milk Cheese (I ditched the prosciutto), secondly, another tasty starter which they call "Panisses," which are Chick Pea Fries (like a thick hommus as a french fry) and a spicy greek yogurt dipping sauce, and as an entrée, I chose the Wild Alaskan Halibut crusted in Brioche with Golden Chanterelles, big leaf Spinach and locally harvested pole beans, celery root mousseline, and a parsley root and grain mustard cream. Everything was spectacular, and for dessert I had to try the Autumn special, the Naha Autumn sundae of Mountain Huckleberries, spiced pumpkin ice cream and crushed biscotti streusel with pecan cookies on the side (which were on par with Sant Ambroeus). What a city.

No comments:

Post a Comment